Archives

16.12.15

My thanks to you

“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” William Arthur Ward, author.

I’ve always been an ambitious person. It’s a positive quality in many ways, but it has a dark side. The drive to do more and to be more can make us forget the sheer wonder of what we already are and already have. There is a Buddhist proverb that goes like this: “Enough is a feast.” How true.   Read More

 
9.12.15

Get your content marketing to stand out – if you dare

The goal of content marketing is to stand out. Why go to all the effort of creating content just to be a me-too brand?

Unfortunately, most content is me-too content.

If you want to stand out, you need to do something different.

So, here’s what you can do.  Read More

 
2.12.15

Eight years of blogging pays back big time

By Kath Walters

Owen McCall is a successful technology consultant based in New Zealand. I know McCall is successful because I happen to know how much he earns in revenue and, even though I am not telling you, it’s a figure that spells S U C C E S S.

McCall estimates that 60% of his business comes from referals within his network. The other 40% comes from his content marketing program. In other words, he gets a 40% lift in revenue as a result of publishing a monthly blog.  Read More

 
25.11.15

How LinkedIn revitalised a video star

By Kath Walters

Mothers are some of the most efficient people you’ll meet.

They’ve got a lot of calls on their time. It wasn’t a problem with efficiency that led Jules Blundell to close down her full service marketing practice, Marketing Hands, to focus purely on video marketing; it was the need to be around for her twins, then four years old.   Read More

 
25.11.15

All ears on deck: The shareholder myth

By Kath Walters

This sentence in a Sydney Morning Herald report about the diesel emissions scandal at the German car company Volkswagen struck me: “Corporate advisory groups have declared VW as having the worst corporate governance among its German peers, and it has been under attack by various shareholder groups over lack of board independence.”

In other words,  Read More

 
 
4.11.15

Are you taking too long to write your blog?

By Kath Walters

 

You can write a blog in 20 minutes. D’you want to know how? Start 20 minutes before the deadline.

We give ourselves way too much leeway with blogging. We are convinced that every word has to be right before we show the world. This is perfectly understandable.  Read More

 
26.10.15

Make the audience the hero

By Kath Walters

The High Tea Society is an accidental masterpiece. Well, not completely accidental. It’s just that the website’s founder, Michelle Milton, never really expected her creation to turn into such a runaway success.

With an audience of 70,000-plus, the High Tea Society is a content marketing case study: how to build an audience, turn them into a community of raving fans, and turn the whole gig into a money-making venture.  Read More

 
7.10.15

Why your phone isn’t ringing

By Kath Walters

There should be a special word for the feeling of dread we feel when the phones fall silent in any business. Call it what you will, we all know what it means: we might be busy now, but we will not be busy for long. There are problems ahead. Tight cash flow. Too much time and not enough to do. Lying awake at night scouring the corners of our minds for solutions.  Read More