If you want to build your profile and get quoted in the media, you must earn your place in a journalist’s contact book
Journalists love experts. Their job is not to be an expert, but to know who the experts are. A journalist’s contact book is her best friend.
If you want media coverage, you need to be in several journalists’ contact books, ideally on one of the most thumbed pages.
Here’s how to earn your place:
- Be available (answer their calls immediately).
- Make your points relevant to their readers.
- Be pithy – don’t blab on.
- Answer their questions.
- Be accurate.
- Refer them to another authority for a countering view.
- Put your knowledge in context.
Which do you think is most important?